Always searching for just the right word? This kind of quiz will exercise your faculties to the max. The idea is based on the "Verbal Analogies" section of the Mega Test Two by Ronald K. Hoeflin published in Vidya, the journal of the Triple Nine Society (July 1984). To answer the questions below, you must find the word that completes the analogy. For example, the answer to "3 : 4 as TRIANGLE : would be "SQUARE."
Now try these — you have plenty of time to work on them, as the answers will be published next month;
1. FUTURE : PROGNOSIS as PAST : ?
2. HOCKEY : PUCK as CURLING : ?
3. BOTTOM-DWELLING : BENTHIC as FREE-SWIMMING : ?
4. LIVER : HEPATO- as HAND ; ?
5. 1600 : BOOK as 1500 ; ?
6. RAISIN : GRAPE as PAIN : ?
7. SUIT : WALLET as KILT : ?
8. SCALY : SQUAMOUS as GLASSY ; ?
9. BLACK : PELLET as GOLD : ?
10. 14 : STONE as 32.174 : ?
Tests like this one are easy to construct. Just go through a dictionary until you find an arcane word and then work back to its analogy. Be careful to achieve a "trap-door effect" — that is, make sure that the dictionary does not also provide the solution. Then watch the test-takers writhe.
Answers can be found here!
|E-mail Print to PDF Blog|